Okay, so now that you have read about Top 10 resume errors and are appropriately terrified, you may also be paralyzed. That’s why I decided to include at the end some resume bloopers that will give you a chuckle and help you relax. Studies have shown that people make much better decisions after they have had a chance to laugh and relax, so take a couple of these in, shake off your tension, and then begin creating the document that will be your employment helpmate.
Spelling and proofreading errors:
- Strong work ethic, attention to detail, organizational abilities, team player, attention to detail.
- Experience: Stalking, shipping, and receiving.
- I work well with the pubic.
- I took a career break to work on my horse.
- Experience: Working with the elderly and people in a vegetable state.
- Employment experience: Revolved customer problems and inquiries.
- Seeking a party-time position.
In the category of too much information:
- Other interests: spending time with my cat (actually, it’s my husband’s cat but I love the cat more than he does and he never really pays attention to it.)
- Hobbies: over-eating, getting drunk, and having a good time.
- In answer to why he wanted the position, an employee wrote: To get my parole officer off my back.
- Achievements: Nominated for Prom Queen.
- Spent $3 million over budget in new corporate facility planning.
- Can belch the ABCs
- Candidate description: I am like a wedge made of sponge. My goal is to wedge myself into an organization and soak up as much as possible.
Poor choice of words:
- I want to play a big part in watching others achieve success.
- I am a hard worker, etc.
- I have guts, integrity, ambition, and drive, which is probably more than most of the people you have working for you.
- Reason for leaving: Pushed out so that managers new trophy wife could get a job.
- Any interruption in my employment history is due to being unemployed.
And downright bizarre:
- Job Experience: Instrumental in ruining entire operation for local retailer.
- I would like to work somewhere that has a very relaxed late policy.
- Reason for leaving: I thought the world was coming to an end.
- It’s best for everyone if I don’t work with other people.
- Qualifications: I can imitate a large number of foreign accents.
- I have 28 dog years of experience.